Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, March 21, 2016

Sicilian Lemons

 Whilst in the Florence fruit and vegetable market I could not help notice these wonderful Sicilian Lemons. 
 Really fresh and wonderfully fragrant I bought a few back home with me.  I am planning to use them to make something special to take advantage of the flavour. Perhaps a bottle of home made Limoncello liqueur, or a special baked lemon pudding.
 But I will also have a go at growing a few little plants from these pips.  But on doing a little research about the best way of germinating lemon pips I came across something amazing and interesting.  Lemon pips are not the same as lemon seeds.

So gently you start at the pointed end of the pip and peel back the outer layer of the pip to uncover the lemon seed.  Germination of these seeds will be much quicker and much more reliable as the outer covering would normally have to rot away and open up to help the seed germinate.  You can see these lemon seeds here.
 So I have potted some up in some seed compost in a heated propagator. Let's see what happens.

2 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I hope they grow for you. It would be lovely to have your own supply of Sicilian lemons! I didn't know about the pips vs seeds thing!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Limoncello - yuck!!!
Best of luck with the lemon seeds, this is interesting x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>