Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Nearly, Nearly

 With these lovely, long June days everything on the allotment is coming along quickly now, but we are not quite there yet.  These Sungold tomatoes in the greenhouse will be there in a couple of weeks but not yet.
 My Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans are just about there.  Some people actually eat them in their pods while they are this small.. I have never tried it - I think it would be like eating cotton wool! The inside of the pod has a white fur protecting the beans.  Perhaps the young ones don't - but I would rather wait a few more days for the real thing. A real gourmet treat.
 This variety of strawberry is called 'Buddy' I bought them a few years ago when my beloved black dog Buddy was still around.  These I have allowed to spread via runners.  It looks as if it is going to be a wonderful year for strawberries, and all soft fruit this year. The bushes and plants are loaded.
 A Tayberry is a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry.  It has the size of a big raspberry with the sweetness of a blackberry.  They have a restrained growing habit, and do not get out of control like blackberries.  Tayberries originated in Scotland, they are really healthy and they are completely hardy.  This year will be my first harvest, I planted this one 2 years ago.
These raspberries are looking amazing this year too.  I dug up my previous plants as they were getting old, so I have not really had a good crop while these Tulameen raspberries were establishing.  This is the first year I have allowed them to fruit. Tulameen is a Summer variety, Tadmor is an Autumn variety, and Erika is a variety which will fruit in both Spring and in Autumn depending on when you prune them!  Just look at these!   I'm going to have a fantastic crop!

3 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Your toms are ahead of mine. Mine are just starting to show the first little tomatoes.

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I always think that eating Broad Bean pods when they are tiny is a waste of potential. I would only do it if I had an enormous glut of them.

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous cheap college essays said...

Because of posts like this I surf the internet and when I found you, the time I felt I was wasting, just turned my thoughts around and now I am thinking I invested my time in something really interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>