Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, May 18, 2015

When Matron Went to Chelsea Part 1

 There's just so much of interest for everyone at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show this year.  The TV coverage does tend to concentrate on the designs of show gardens, but there is plenty of excitement for the ordinary allotment gardener. So many more people are interested in wider aspects of growing plants, the RHS are certainly reflecting this in the range of exhibits.
 My eye was certainly caught by this delicious selection of restored garden tools.  I felt so nostalgic about these old zinc watering cans.  Years ago I didn't think anything of them, but now I just hanker after those old things.
 I just wanted to reach out and fondle these wooden handles. Perfectly designed, crafted and preserved here they were just so tactile and just wanted to be gripped, used and loved.  You can keep your modern, moulded handles and give me a good old country crafted fork and spade any day.
 Mr Titchmarsh was certainly dressed for the weather!  It was a bit drizzly this morning but it brightened up later.  Lots and lots of celebrities and experts were on hand today on press day at Chelsea.
 A beautiful kitchen garden display by Pennard Plants, this twine winder caught my eye.  What do you call it?  Mine is just two ancient old wooden tent pegs with a length of string between.  Does it have a real name?  Whatever it is, this one was just the ticket!
 So much character in these old glass cloches. Pennard Plants just hit the spot with their very practical and traditional kitchen garden.
and how about this old Sussex trug? and these old clay flowerpots.  All of these beautiful objects are still as fit for purpose as they ever were.  I just remembered a little story my Dad told me when we were on our allotment years ago.  All these clay pots, and clay bricks we used on our allotment when I was growing up came from the clay that was dug out of the ground when the London Underground was being dug in the 19th and 20th century.  Good old London clay! Is that true I wonder...

2 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

That twine winder reminds me of the sort of useful items we had to make in woodwork lessons at school.

I rarely watch Chelsea on TV as they spend so long on the show gardens with all their airy fairy descriptions and hardly mention other sections.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Isn't the "twine-winder" thing officially called a Garden Line? Presumably it is used to ensure that you sow your seeds in straight lines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>