Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The World's Longest Chilli

 I'm entering a competition organized by Sea Spring Seeds to grow the World's Longest Chilli.  Guinness World Records have been approached and they confirm that no such record currently exists. This means that whoever grows the longest chilli will be the winner!  The two varieties that are recommended are Joe's Long and Spaghetti.   So I am growing both to see how I get on.
 A little dilemma I have is whether to pinch out the tops to encourage more bushy side growth, or to leave the tops to grow taller.  Generally you will get more fruit with more side growth, but I want size not quantity.   I think what I might do is to prune out some of the fruit and just grow a few chillis on each plant - in the same way you do when you grow a giant pumpkin.  Any advice out there?
 Meanwhile, the courgettes, pumpkins, cucumbers and melons are really growing fast.  We've had some lovely warm days in the greenhouse.  Beware of late frosts forecast, in London tonight a frost is forecast, so everything is inside for tonight and out again tomorrow.
 My Japanese Wasabi plant is coming to life again.  I have it in a pot, underneath a dripping tap against a North facing wall.  It seems to like it there.  I re-potted it last year, no sign of useable roots.
Now 3 years old, I wonder if I will get some at the end of this season.  Fingers crossed.

2 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I think you are adopting the right approach with the chillis.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Good luck with your record! I love both growing and cooking with hot peppers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>