Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, May 01, 2015

Bees are Buzzing

 The blossom has been amazing this year!  Warm days and cold nights here has meant that it has lasted quite a bit longer.  The blossom on my Bramley Apple tree also smells heavenly.
 The crab apple tree is also covered in blossom.
 So the honey bees are having a great time these past few days.
 It looks like pollination will be good this year, and hopefully will follow a good crop of apples.
 I am breaking the habit of a lifetime this year and planting F.L.O.W.E.R.S. on my allotment.  Regular readers will know that 'Matron does not do flowers' but if a few flowers encourage the pollinating insects to pollinate my vegetables... then why not help out a bit.  These giant Sunflowers, a variety called 'Giraffe' are doing fine.  I need to wait until all risk of frost is past to plant them out.
 And ditto these Borage flower seedlings.  Seed saved from last year.  Bees just adore Borage flowers which last right the way through the season.  Also known as 'star flowers' these little blue flowers can be picked and floated in drinks.   Supposed to taste like cucumber.. mine didn't!


1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

YES, YES, YES - YOU'RE GROWING FLOWERS!

So stunned by your blossom, golly you will end up with a hatred of apples, haha. What a great display xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>