Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, February 23, 2015

London Potato Day

 Last Friday and Saturday at the RHS Lindley Hall in London I was like a kid in a sweet shop at the RHS London Potato Day.  Yes there were some flowers and flowery things going on there too.. but...
 I was there for this fantastic pic n mix seed potato shop from Pennard Plants.  These seed people really know their stuff.  Oh the joy of having a nerdy conversation with another veggie fan is just so exciting.  Take a paper bag and pick your seed potato varieties for just 22p each.  This is just so great because elsewhere you have to buy a huge sack full when you just want to try a short row of each.
Pennard Plants put on this stunning display of seed potatoes which was inspired by a display on this very spot in 1910 at the wonderfully named 'Colonial Fruit Show'
 You could buy shallots or onion sets by the cupful.
 And you could buy Aquadulce broad bean seeds by the scoop full.
So what did I go for?  Some Ratte salad potatoes,  Red Duke of York, and my all time favourite first early new potato Epicure.  Beg, steal or borrow and find yourself some Epicure potatoes my friends. I remember growing this variety when I was a small child.  The taste is the best you will ever find.

6 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

A wonderful display, for sure! London prices though. The price per tuber at our Hampshire Potato Day was only 17p!
Maybe next year I'll try some "Epicure", since you speak so glowingly of them. I have not tried them before.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Oh I would have loved a day like that, and such a good price on all. Good luck with your choices.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger VP said...

Ha re London prices, they were the same when Pennards came to Chippenham recently ;-) I wish I'd known about your epicure recommendation, I would have added it to the ones I'm trialling this year. I love potato days, especially as you can buy as few or as many of each variety you want!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A lovely post with fabulous pictures. Veg heaven! I am also a big fan of Pennards, after trying their Swiss Chard seeds last year - the best and most beautiful chard ever. And good prices too.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I would love a potato event! Looks really interesting. I've never heard of Epicure but will take your word they're good.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

can you believe that here - the land of the potato, we didn't find a Potato Day! It really looks fun and what a super way to try lots of varieties. I bet you were indeed like a kid in a sweet shop.

Never grown Epicure before, though to my shame, I'm not a big spud fan.

xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>