Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Green Tomato Chutney

 So what do you do with a big tray of green tomatoes that will turn blighty in a few days?
 Green tomato chutney of course.  Chop and sweat 1lb of green tomatoes, 1lb of onions, 1lb of cooking apples with some salt for about 20 minutes.
 Then add 1 pint of malt vinegar, 2lbs brown sugar, 100grams dried fruit, and a selection of whichever spices you like.  I put in cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, 1 whole chilli, ginger powder.. any of those really.
 Gently simmer with the lid off and stir to stop the bottom from burning or sticking.
 I never pay attention to cooking times because you have to wait till it is thick and most of the excess water has evaporated.
 cool slightly and pour into warmed sterilized jars.
 It says to keep for a month to mature.... hell no!
Ready straight away!  Yum!

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your chutney looks perfect!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I'm not a great fan of chutneys, normally, but I make two exceptions: Mango chutney for with curry; and Green Tomato and apple for with Cheddar cheese. That chutney of your would suit me fine!

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

That looks delicious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>