Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Green Shoots

 I feel it in my bones that it is the right time to start sowing seeds!  The soil is gradually warming up and the days are getting longer.  Time to turn to my old friend Mr Wilkinson to provide some basic seeds to sow.  How about this HUGE packet of Hurst Green Shaft peas?
 I've been saving toilet rolls for months now!  Peas do like to have a long root run, so planting the seeds inside a toilet roll will encourage them to start to grow downwards! They can be planted out with the cardboard around them.
 Meanwhile in the greenhouse my little tomato seeds are making good progress. Started off in a heated propagator to germinate, these are looking good.
 I know it is quite late to plant garlic, but I found a French garlic bulb in the kitchen that had started to sprout.  Since this picture was taken 2 days ago, they have doubled in size.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained!  I might get something out of these later in the season, let's see.
My friend Mr Wilkinson has come up trumps again, Broad Beans Aquadulce Claudia are up and running. I will take these outside to harden off and plant out.

2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Eight by Six said...

my dining room is looking like a greenhouse this week, so much new life emerging I love it. Time to pot up the first toms this weekend as they have two sets of leaves. They grow so quickly! Amanda x

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh yes, this the happiest time of year!!! Everything wants to grow and I love watching all these specks of green popping up :). Xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>