Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Tidying up

 I noticed my Japanese Wasabi plant this week, it has started to grow again and has sent out lovely flower spikes.  These flowers really do look like those from brassica plants, say radish, cabbage or broccoli so I can assume that despite the leaves looking different, it is distantly related.  This Wasabi plant is in a pot up against a North facing wall underneath a dripping tap which connects the garden hose. Ideal conditions.
 Meanwhile, elsewhere on the plot I was cutting back the blackberry stalks.  This is really vicious stuff!  Pruning out last year's stems and tie back the new shoots for this year's fruit.  Actually, this blackberry plant was deliberately placed in a gap at the end of the garden to stop my dog Buddy from escaping when we first had him!
 This stuff jumps out and grabs you from behind and it won't let go!  I literally feel like I have been dragged through a hedge backwards and have injuries to prove it.  Do you remember when Steve McQueen was riding his motorcycle in the film The Great Escape?  He tries to jump over the barbed wire to freedom and falls off and gets tangled in the barbed wire when the German soldiers get him?? Well, I felt just like that while pruning my blackberries!
The fruiting buds are just starting to show on the new growth. By Summer this should be a lovely crop of blackberries!

3 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Both plants look robust. I have been toying with planting wasabi, will go check now to see its relatives

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Ms. Krieger said...

Matron,
The leaves of your wasabi plant look very similar to garlic mustard, a common weed in the northeastern US which is also a member of the crucifer/brassica family. It is one of the first greens to eat in the early spring (not like we have anything remotely resembling spring around here yet...but one can hope.) Yours looks so lush, I am sure it is delicious! Can you eat the leaves, or just the ground root?

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh goodness...that remains me that the blackberry on the plot needs taming. I always fain sudden weak lady-less and the hubby steps in. Oh they are nasty thorny brutes but I love those juicy berries.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>