Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

How to Make Mozzarella Cheese

 With all my ripe tomatoes just waiting to be eaten, I've been buying lots of Mozzarella in the last few weeks until I found out just how easy it is to make at home.  If you Google 'How to make Mozzarella' there are lots of short films on just how to do that.
 You need to have Rennet and Citric Acid
 Then leave the milk to curdle at about blood heat and leave for 30 minutes. Cut the curds and heat a little more.

Now this next bit needs a bit more practice, but the curds have to be salted, heated more then kneaded and stretched into a smooth elastic dough... this almost happened but not quite.
It managed about half way there... still, it was delicious!...nb. this is not pink!.. the photo just came out that way!

4 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

You are a brave lady, you will try just about anything!You have a sensational amount of ripe tomatoes to get through, are you going to make pasta sauce? Ours are just beginning to ripen now and we will quite easily be able to eat our way through them as they have not over produced.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger CJ said...

I had no idea this could be made at home, I am very impressed!

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting... I once tried to make tofu and it was rather time consiuming activity. I imagine that making your own cheese would look similar. But well done! I am sure it was tasty:)

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Caro said...

You amaze me! Always trying something new! I don't eat that much mozzarella but am pleased to know that it's possible to make all soft cheese at home! Now if only there was a recipe for parmesan ... !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>