Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, April 30, 2012

Pumpkin Pie

 So here is the last of my Queensland Blue squash.  Sieved and drained overnight to allow excess moisture to drip out.
 I have used the same recipe which was cut out of a newspaper about 40 years ago!  You can tell how old it is because the liquid measurements in the recipe are for gills.  One gill = about 5oz.  I like to think of it as the size of a single yoghurt pot.
 The mixture does look really thin and watery, but if you put enough eggs in, and my own secret ingredient of a desert spoon of flour to give it a better texture when cooked.
 Then you end up with a pumpkin pie!  It's still cooling so will be eaten tomorrow.
Meanwhile on the veg patch, the sun was shining today for the first time in weeks.  I went to the greenhouse (actually I waded) and planted my precious Paton Twins Giant Pumpkin.  Special seed from a UK award winning giant pumpkin of over 1200 pounds!  I'm preparing a special pumpkin bed as we speak.  Take your marks, get set..... go! 

6 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy huge pumpkin!

your pie is fantastic!

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Ohhh... It looks wonderful! I froze some cooked pumpkin. I may have to get it out for a treat. It will be fun to watch your giant pumpkins progress. DH mowed the tall grass around my vegetable beds, but it is cold, rainy and windy today. I'll get a few more seeds planted tomorrow, inside.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We had pumpkin pie last year for the first time and it was lovely - although not at all what I expected both in taste and also the fact that it didn't have a lid!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I'm amazed at the keeping qualities of your pumpkin - I had NO idea that they lasted that long and may well have to try and find a bit of room for a pumpkin plant. Nice pie, by the way!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I always had the idea that pumpkin pie was quintissentially American, and now here is and English pie with Australian pumpkin? Is it a traditional English dish?

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Jo - I did some research on the subject last year (blog post somewhere) it is an old English recipe known as a Norfolk Millions pie. Brought to America by the first British settlers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>