Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Flooded

 It has been raining almost non stop for the last week or so down on Matron's plot.  Everything is growing and growing and the rhubarb is in seventh heaven.  The trouble is that it's flooded and I can't get down to the greenhouse to plant my pumpkin and squash seeds.

Well, everything has come full circle and I cut up my last Queensland Blue squash today.  These fantastic Winter squash have lasted right through the Winter just sat on a table in the living room.  I noticed just a bit of deterioration at the base so decided it was time to use it. 
 Sunday lunch, with oven roasted Queensland Blue squash!  IN APRIL!  what a keeper!
 
Meanwhile, Leo was so tired after licking the gravy off our plates that he lay on the sofa and went to sleep!




He thanks you all for your best wishes.  He is making excellent progress!  Had a little lump removed and still has stitches in.  Blood tests showed us that he is an amazingly healthy dog!  The vet also complimented him on his trim waistline!  Stitches out on Friday!

8 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger 5olly said...

cor. that squash looks interesting to grow!

*goes to look for seeds*

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my, you could grow rice!

The squash is fantastic!

And happy "woofs" for Leo from Baron!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger LindaG said...

That is great storage time for your squash, Matron.
Glad to hear that Leo is on the mend, too.
Have a wonderful week! ♥

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

What a keeper indeed! Looks great!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

Fabulous looking squash Matron. I may have to seek out those seeds for 2013.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Such thick flesh on the pumpkin...

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger jobee said...

That pumpkin looks gorgeous will definitely have to find some of those seeds. The colour of the flesh looks so tasty and rich x

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dont't you just have to love winter squash!
Having one of the last of my Blue Banana squash for lunch today....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>