Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, September 03, 2011

A Welcome Visitor!

It has been my pleasure and privilege over the years to meet up with fellow veggie bloggers from time to time. Yesterday I was able to show Paula from Petunia's Garden around my plot in London. She was on a short business trip to London from her home in Seattle. We toured the allotment, ate a fish and chip supper and then sat down to go through my seed tins for swaps. Petunia is one of the founder members of SAGBUTT - Seattle Area Bloggers United To Talk. A group of garden bloggers who get together to have a natter every now and then.
Some of my lovely Salford Black Beans are beginning to dry nicely. I have a few ripe pods on a warm windowsill and there are a few more still on the plant.
These Salford Black beans were given to me by Celia at Purple Podded Peas as part of my Buddy Morris memorial vegetable garden this year. ... and speaking of the old fella..
Do you remember last year when I thought that a plague of slugs had been eating the leaves of my climbing beans? Only to find out that a certain furry black person was the culprit? Well, it has happened again...

I was wondering only a few days ago why my tomatoes were slow to ripen! Lots of green tomatoes on the vines which just were not ripening fast enough!
Well, as it happens they were being eaten!!! Leo was carefully selecting the ripe tomatoes and gently pulling them off the plant! Clever boy! so great to see he has settled down in my veggie garden and is following Buddy's example!

10 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We once had a dog that picked blackberries. Brave dog risking a prickled nose!

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, that's hilarious and adorable!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Both of our dogs pick produce. Their faves are cherry tomatoes, peas and any kind of berry. You just have to plant enough for everyone...LOL

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Greenorchid said...

Sweet...

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anthony Spence said...

Adorable..thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Newbie said...

Love it! I had the same problem last year with my strawberries and was convinced it was Squirrels or Birds until i caught Rosie - my Labrador cross red-handed!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Kit Aerie-el said...

That must have been so fun for you and Paula to visit in person!
Your beans look wonderful; the one with them all lined up is very artsy creative!
Good detective work figuring out the tomato culprit. Sounds like Leo's got good taste.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger melsanford said...

I have a toddler who pinches ripe tomatoes and runs off with them.... :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I'm glad Emily the cat only harvests her own catnip. What a nice evening we had! While 2 veggie beds are now ready, I will prepare the pumpkin bed too. Look out 2012. I hope you'll find a reason to visit us in the US northwest again.

This weekend has been the best 3 days of weather I remember for the past 2 summers. I hope we'll have more of this next year.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Bobby says Leo should really ask first before eating Matron's tomatoes ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>