Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Eating Apples

3 years ago I bought a couple of family fruit trees. These are trees that have several different apple varieties grafted on to one root stock. This year has been amazing for my eating apples. A lovely cold Winter put the tree into a proper dormancy and formed nice fruit buds. These are Lord Lambourne apples.
I picked and stored the perfect apples yesterday. These are a gorgeous mix of a crisp texture, and a great mix of sweet and acid. A really lovely eating apple.
Another apple on the same tree is this Egremont Russett apple. A distinctive apple with a nutty taste. Perfect for eating with cheese. I love these.
And I'm not the only one!

10 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We used to have a row of apples along our fence and one was Lord Lambourne. WE have one or two remaining but we're not sure which varieties they are.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Matron
I can almost taste them! They look great.
We have the Egremont Russett and are looking forward to harvest time!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger LindaG said...

Oh, interesting! The Egremont makes me think of Asian pears.
I wonder how it would do in hot climate? I will have to look into it, it sounds quite delicious. :)

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron,I have been looking for an easy recipe for Piccalli, I remembered you featured it last year and I found it under sept 2010 but Please can you give a bit more info on the how and what you used?!

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

We are completely overrun with apples right now, including some Egremont Russett. In fact we have four varieties in all. Can you cook with the russetts do you think?

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Peggy - exactly the right time of year, in fact I was going to chop the vegetables tomorrow! I will blog about it in a few days but will email you with my recipe.

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger RheLynn said...

The Egremont is a very different looking apple. It sounds like something we would like. Thanks for posting your wonderful pictures.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

These look lovely! I love the thought of growing my own apples - I must look into it :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, I found your picallili recipe under your August 2008 post!

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I never knew or heard about that type of apple tree..guess it works, your apples are lovely..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>