Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, August 01, 2011

Too many Courgettes?

A very common complaint this time of year is that courgettes (or Zucchinni as Americans call them!) just grow too darn fast! I know that 3 days ago I picked a whole trugfull, and today I picked another whole trugfull! Anyway, these pictured above are Black Beauty courgettes. Another part of my Buddy Morris veggie garden!
And these slightly lighter colour are my old favourite Defender courgettes. I like them because they are incredibly prolific and resistant to mosaic virus. So what am I going to do with all these lovely veggies?
I am pickling them! just sliced and salted for a few hours to take away some of the excess moisture, then rinse and dry them. The removal of some of the moisture enables the spiced vinegar to penetrate and keep them nice and crisp when they are pickled.
Pack them into sterilized jars. I found a great Kosher Dill Pickle mix in the USA, basically it is sugar, salt and spices. You know that lovely taste you get with dill pickles? These are heavenly!
I think here in the UK it is hard to find, but I will go exploring in some Jewish areas of North London, like Golders Green. They are sure to sell it there.
But while I was sitting outside preparing my courgettes... a thief sneaked up beside me...
He ate the whole thing!!

19 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

Our dogs often find themselves some veg we've put to one side for a mere second. They normally chew the end and that is it. He did well to manage the whole courgette!

It's easy to complain about having too many courgettes but it's better than not having any or enough.

Love the idea of pickling them.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Martin :0)

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Didn't grow em this year hopefully will be more organised next year. What a helpful fella Leo is, just doing you a favour Matron

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Kath said...

The chickens will eat them too!
I like to make a chutney with courgettes. You can spice it up as much as you like. I made a lovely courgette and gooseberry chutney last year that was really hot.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Great courgettes, can't believe your dog ate one! My courgettes aren't doing that great. I've only harvested a few baby ones. Many are rotting at the end that the flower was produced(?).

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I'm collecting courgette recipes on my blog (check the sidebar). I'd be happy to add a link to you pickle post with your permission. If so may I use one of your photos too.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

He ate the whole thing...too funny. Ours are just starting to come on and with any luck we to will be over loaded with them. We tried pickling a bunch of them last season and really enjoyed them that way...perhaps I got the idea from you, I can't remember.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I eat mine small, baby courgettes. They taste divine.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Jelliebabe said...

Mmmmmmmm Dill pickles! I may have to try that as I havent got a single gherkin from my three huge gherkin plants! I think the pidgeons are eating them.... I have however had fourteen courgettes in about 9 days! :o)

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

I've not tried pickling courgettes yet. Usually any gluts I have go into making a courgette/egg/cheese puff pastry pie. Delicious!

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Our zucchini are just getting started (everything has been about three weeks late here this year!). I think with our late start that we may not end up quite so overwhelmed by them this year as the season will shorter as a result of the later start to them.

Leo is just helping out with the excess! Contrary to popular belief not all hens will eat zucchini! My flock turns up their beaks at it!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, no such glut over here! The weather is not encouraging fast growth of anything at the moment more rain today.It seems to rain every second day and the low light levels are not ripening the tomatoes either!
Leo is a very discerning pooch!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Well done Leo, it's nice to see you helping to get that cougette mountain under control. I have some up here if you fancy a few more.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Why I garden - sounds like the female flowers are not being pollinated by insects. If this happens the little baby fruit just goes yellow and rots. When you have an open female flower, try to find an open male flower and hand pollinate.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Sue@GL - yes, please add the link.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Your recipe is added Matron - thanks

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous liz said...

my lab loves courgettes too, and peas, broccli and sprouts !!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Too many courgettes? No problem just invest in a glut buster. AKA Leo

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpicklesnaturally.htm

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hens love cooked courgettes, especially mixed with maize meal. I save the ends for them.
Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>