Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, January 17, 2011

Bedfordshire Champion

There is new life sprouting in the greenhouse at last! I sowed these hardy Winter lettuce seed at the end of last Summer and I have been meaning to plant them into growbags but just didn't get around to it. Maybe in the next couple of days I will be spending some time out there if it ever stops raining!
Fantastic results with my Bedfordshire Champion onion seed which I sowed on Boxing day. I gave them warmth from a heated propagator in the greenhouse for a couple of weeks.
Then last week when they had germinated I took the top of the propagator, and today they looked quite a bit bigger so I turned off the heat on the propagator. I want to begin the process of hardening them off very slowly. I don't want them to get pale and spindly with all that protection. In the next couple of days I will pot them up into individual modules to give them some more root growth. I've never grown onion from seed before, always from sets. This is the way it is done for the show bench!
Also sitting happily on an open bench in the greenhouse is my Isle of Wight Early purple garlic plants. I'll plant these outside in a couple of weeks too!

16 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Winter Lettuce, onion from seeds and garlic are all looking quite good! I'm really impressed with the onions...I understand now why the onions I've started from seeds didn't do well...I babied them to much and didn't harden them off properly.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger miruku said...

Your onions are growing so well. I had my onion seeds sowed too 2 months back but they all look so thin until now.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I've never grown onion from seed either. It's sets again for me this year, perhaps seed next year.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, very impressive!!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, I've never grown Onions from seed, it will be interesting to see what you make of them compared to sets.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Your winter veggies are looking good!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I've left you an award on my blog. Don't feel under any pressure to accept it if you don't wish to do so, I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Lucy @ Smallest Smallholding said...

Good job! And as a Bedfordshire lifelong resident can I just take this chance to big up my county's onions? ;) I've never grown my onions from seed but have heard good things about how well Bedfordshire Champion does.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Janet/Plantaliscious said...

I'm impressed by the onion seedlings, they look wonderfully healthy. Does this produce larger onions that growing from setts? Next year, hopefully, I will have garlic and winter lettuce too, but first I need to get the plot dug...

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Dan said...

The onions look good! The greenhouse must really come in handy this time of year.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Sabera said...

Wow looks like i should start my onions as im going to try and grow from seed. Or have i left it too late?

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any updates on the onion?

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Anonymous - Still very small, but about double the size you see in this picture. Slow growing at this time of year but might start speeding up as the days lengthen and it gets a bit warmer.

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment.. Have you left them in the same pot that's you planeted in? i've got mine the same length as you have in the above picture, but started planting into bigger pot. will leave them there now till i plant out.. I guess we need some warm weather for these to grow.

thanks for your response.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous pottymarigold said...

hI! oNLY FOUND THIS TODAY, SO HELPFUL! i STARTED GROWING MY BEDFORDSHIRE CHAMPION SEEDS ABOUT A WEEK AGO IN AN UNHEATED PROPAGATOR. i ONLY DID THAT AS STILL WAITING FOR SOME TOPSOIL FOR MY ACTUAL RAISED BEDS! i FEARED i WOULD SPOIL THEM AS THOUGHT YOU SHOULD SOW DIRECT. cAN i PLEASE ASK, WHEN YOU SOW THEM OUTSIDE, HOW DEEP DO YOU SOW THEM AND HOW DEEP WILL MY RAISED BED NEED TO BE? wILL 15CM BE DEEP ENOUGH? aND WHEN WILL I KNOW WHEN TO START THEM OUTSIDE? sORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS, JUST SEEMS THAT IF ANYONE WILL KNOW IT WILL BE YOU! GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING, LOOKING GREAT! -just realised I had my caps lock on so sorry for all the capital letters! I wasn't meaning to shout haha!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Pottymarigold - the seeds should do fine if you planted them in a propagator, then I assume you will plant them out when they are big enough. If you plant seeds direct outdoors then with fine sifted soil then about half an inch should be fine. The problem about raised beds is that they are difficult to keep watered. 15cm depth might be fine for the depth of the onion roots but might need watering every single day in hot weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>