Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, October 25, 2010

New Shoots!

We've had some very bright, sunny days in the last couple of weeks. Although it has been below freezing quite a few times the temperature in the greenhouse during the sunny days must have been quite warm. My lovely Isle of Wight garlic 'Early Purple' has really started to shoot up. I will accustom it to being outside for a couple of days now and plant it outside for the Winter. It will be fine outside now having established a good root system.
A few hardy Winter lettuce have made good progress too. I will buy a growbag and keep these planted in the greenhouse over Winter for a few more salad nibbles!

14 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger The Boy Ollerton said...

Make the most of the good weather, doesn't get any better from tomorrow! Good blog btw, will add you to my follow list and pop you a link ;)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Kath said...

A greenhouse really does extend your winter options doesn't it? Wouldn't be without mine!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We had our first frost on Sunday night. I plan to plant my garlic this week in pots where they will stay overwinter in our cold greenhouse and be planted out in early spring - it was a method that worked well last year.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous fer said...

Great to see your new sprouts!
Hope they all grow nicely

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

Your garlic looks great! I planted mine Less than a week ago and was amazed to see how big their shoots were this morning!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Jo said...

It's good to see some things just springing to life at this time of year.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Nate said...

A quick garlic question: I don't have a heated / warm greenhouse (only a flimsy plastic windbreak type of thing) - would I be best starting my garlic off inside on a bright window or is it better off in the cooler outdoor shelter? I've never grown it before and I don't want to kill it off before it gets started! =)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Nate - the garlic will be fine if you get it in the ground straight away. It doesn't have to be heated but starting off with shelter or in pots I find gives it a good head start.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Nate said...

Thanks, Matron - looking forward to getting my garlic started now!

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Oh.., lettuce, a veggie I have been trying to germinate but fail each time. :) ~bangchik

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Dan said...

The lettuce is looking good! I neglected to start any late lettuce, starting to regret it now.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Bangchik - not surprised you have trouble germinating lettuce, it doesn't germinate if it is too warm. If at all possible find a cool place for it to germinate.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Liz said...

Wow. You're very well organised! I'm waiting for my garlic to arrive so I can get it planted.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

They look great, a great start for the growing season 2011 ;-)

Tyra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>