Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fecundity!

I love that word! It represents the feeling that I get this time of year when I see all this wonderful produce dripping from our trees and on our soil. I woke this morning to discover the first frost of the year. Beautiful patterns of ice crystals here on my broccoli. When the sun came up over the horizon I was off for an exciting day.
Today and up till Sunday is the Autumn produce show at the RHS Gardens at Wisley. Part of their 'Grow Your Own' campaign.
Wonderful displays of pumpkins and squash. This is my favourite Winter squash 'Delicata' .
Apples, pears and quinces were sold, and there were generous free tastings too!
What a beautiful array of Autumn colour.
So Matron visited the tropical greenhouse, hiked up past the Piet Oudolf border towards the orchard. Here is a rare glimpse of Matron herself!
To my favourite place in the whole wide world. The orchard.
Acres and acres, hundreds of apple trees laden with fruit.
Every conceivable shape, colour and size. There were thousands of trees, and some of the ancient varieties have incredible names. Easter Orange, Winter Banana, Kings Acre Pippin, Nanny, King Coffee, Beauty of Hants, Pomeroy of Somerset and The Bloody Ploughman were just a few...but Matron had to have a favourite..
Ooooh Matron!

16 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Lovely produce! I'm still waiting on the first frost. It usually comes mid Oct - early Nov.

I finally dropped your seeds in the box, sent a few extras too :-) Should take about 7 business days.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Is that Matron I see scrumping?

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Phoebe said...

Golden knob? How appealing!

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Gotta love some of those names! he he

Seriously, that orchard looks like heaven to me too.

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We love apples and squash too. Autumn is such a great time of year.
Hey, thanks for the new word.
Wyatt

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous fer said...

A very nice day!
Those apples look great and so do the pumpkins.

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Fantastic apples, wish my tree was that perfect!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger RobD said...

I do love a good orchard, sadly all too rare these days.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

What a fabulous day out, all that autumn produce and array of apples. I remember some old orchards and the taste of the different apples cannot be compared to anything available in shops today thanks to EU regulations.
Thankfully no frost here yet but definitely colder in the mornings.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I'd love to be near enough to visit the gardens at Wisley. It would be a major expedition though. Nice to visit it through your blog.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

No frost here yet and unfortunately Wisley is a bit too far away for us to pay a day visit! You can always tell this time of year when shadows rear up in photographs can't you?

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Jo said...

You've photographed the frost on your broccoli very well, I love the patterns it makes but I'm glad that we haven't had any here yet. Your day out looks like fun, especially looking up the names of those apples.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Mr. H. said...

What an orchard and those trees are so full...amazing.

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Dan - thank you so much!
Rob - do you see a large bag in Matron's shadow?

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

What a a glorious looking fall day! And what better way to spend it then schlepping around produce displays, greenhouses, and an orchard!?

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger The Boy Ollerton said...

Nice pumpkins!!! :D Can't wait to carve mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>