Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Toms Beans and Peas

I'm not growing quite as many varieties of tomatoes this year. It is lovely to try new ones, but I grow for flavour. Here are gardeners delight, sungold and chocolate cherry. it is interesting to have a variety in a bowl together then eat them one after another to compare the texture, sweetness, acid and flavour between varieties. I think the chocolate cherry comes out near the top, surprisingly!

I love the way that Gardeners delight grows. They come down and down like a double string of pearls!

I shelled my Salmon flowered peas today. There are plenty left over...so..

So if you would like to try some of these heritage peas next year, drop me an email with your details and I will be happy to share. It is important to keep these old varieties going. I know a couple of people have expressed an interest already but I can't remember who!! just drop me a line again please.

I have an amazing crop of parsley this year. It is just perfect right now. I was debating with myself how I might take advantage of this glut. Shall I chop and freeze?

I am thrilled this hairy cucumber 'Bari' seems to be growing. This is an unusual variety I swapped with Mas Du Diable last year. An old family variety passed down from generation to generation by a family in Bari, Italy.
Queensland blue squash coming along nicely too.
As is the Tromba D'albegna squash!

12 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matron your tomato plant is looking very healthy with so much fruit on it too, with the parsley I would dry some of it, have you frozen it before? or you could just try freezing a small amount to see if it freezes well.

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Carolyn said...

Gosh, your squashes look fab! Mine were all destroyed by foxes so I'm quite envious! We had mounds of parsley last year (over zealous seed sowing by one of the children) and it lasted all through the winter, snow and all! I trimmed any dead bits back in spring and soon had a healthy bed-ful again but, eventually, it bolted in the heat. Why don't you freeze some and leave the rest?

Oh yes, and I'd love to grow some of your salmon pink peas next year! (if you're not overwhelmed with replies).

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Kath said...

I make parsley wine with a glut of parsley. Good with fish!

Black Cherry is one of my favourites too.

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

The squashes look fab and wonderful tomatoes.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matron,

Would love to share the salmon-flowered peas. I don't suppose you'd want to post them on: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/swap/

Love your blog.

Issy

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

woah look at your Queensland - looks fab x
off for a rummage around mine again !!

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Helen/patientgardener said...

I'm very impressed with your vegies. I'm rubbish at growing them so dont bother but I think I will have another go at some point when I have more time.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous hillwards said...

They all look amazing. I particularly love the tromba d'albegna squash - shall have to try a more adventurous shape next year! Your parsley looks really lush too, we've only grown flat-leaf parsley this year. I'd love to try growing some of the salmon flowered peas next year if you have a few to spare...
Sara

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

The tomatoes look tasty and the fuzzy cucumber is a bit alarming looking!

That parsley really is picture perfect.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Matron, I'm a great fan of your blog. Am well impressed with your summer harvest. Please could you spare a few salmon flowered peas? Fancy some of my Champ of England, Cupidon, Cherokee Trail of Tears or Sex Without Strings (Aussie yellow dwarf beans)?

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Amy said...

That smile-shaped Tromba D'albegna squash is brilliant!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Thanks for all your comments. So far I have only one email giving details of where to send the salmon peas. As requested please send me an email and I can get them sent off. Ta

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>