Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fruit and Veg

I'm having lots of gluts at the moment! Piles of courgettes, tomatoes and runner beans accumulating on the draining board in the kitchen! My blackberries are amazing this year, so are the apples. I suppose this is a result of the long, cold Winter that they need in order to develop fruiting buds.
This blackberry was actually an unwanted weed in the corner of my plot for years. Then when we re-homed Buddy I decided to use it to fence in a gap in the garden so that he didn't escape! I've never looked back!
Last blog I was trying to identify my black furry caterpillar, here is a black and yellow one. Does anyone know what it is?
Thrilled with this furry cucumber. The seeds were sent to me by Mas du Diable, they are a variety of 'cucumber melon' cucumis melo from a family in Bari, Italy. This one looks about ready to pick. Apparently you just peel off the fur!
These are Scotch bonnet chillis. I just planted some seeds from a Chilli I bought in my local West Indian grocery store. We've had such a hot, dry Summer so far, they have done well in the greenhouse!
I've been trying to find fresh turmeric for months! At last I found some this week in a Chinese supermarket. It is a bit late to grow them, but I might try making some turmeric tea, a relaxing healthy, milky drink. Hopefully if I find some more next Spring I will try growing them in a pot in the greenhouse. They are a close relative of ginger.
Another glut at the moment comes from my Runner Bean St George. Earlier in the season I had some pollination problems when none of the flowers were setting in the dry weather. A few wet sprays each day and a couple of rain showers has done wonders!

14 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

This caterpillar's Cinnabar Moth. I assume that's ragwort it's on. I wasn't sure about the other. I think you suggested Peacock. It could be, but it looks a lot hairier than the pic in my caterpillar book. It's hard to tell when it's curled up like that.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The black and yellow caterpillar is that of a cinnabar moth. I can't identify the hairy caterpillar from the photo in your previous post.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Doc said...

These are the larva of the Cinnabar Moth "Tyria jacabaeae". They eat mostly ragwort and can be mildly poisonous after eating poisonous plants.
Doc

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Hi Matron, having never grown Scotch Bonnet before I'm glad yours look the same as mine, I must be doing something right!

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous 55 gallon water barrel said...

The blackberries look great. I just paid the grocer $6 for a pint and they were awful. Planning a trip to the north, hopefully, we'll get some nice berries then.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger islandgal246 said...

Matron such bounty from your garden. Save me some jam when next you come to Barbados. I will trade some of mine with you.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Amy said...

From the top photo it looks like blackberry and apple crumble's on the agenda! Looks fantastic.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Dan said...

The turmeric is interesting. It would be cool to grow them out. I just dropped you a line about those Salmon Flowered Peas.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

oh a jealousy inducing post!! our blackberries aren't ripe yet but they look big, we had the 1st tomatoes during the week and a glut of runner beans but boy - you are doing GOOD!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You'll be able to source fresh tumeric all year round at New Loon Moon on 9 Gerrard Street (Chinatown). Let me know if you need some later in the year and I'll post them to you.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Ooh yes, ...and can I have some galangal. Years ago I read that the dried form was called "Laos Powder" and I wondered around Soho asking for it (with no success and many a quizical look).

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Yes, galangal is another relative of ginger, it is usually sold as Thai ginger.

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Cooking for Diabetes said...

You are blessed with such a wonderful garden! I am just starting to garden and reading your post is very inspiring. I only have basil and strawberries planted this year but I hope to grow others next year.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Shawn Ann said...

Wow that is a cool caterpillar! Even though he probably isn't nice to your garden. Nice garden blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>