Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, August 23, 2010

Extra Tender and Sweet

This variety of sweetcorn does exactly what it says on the tin! This variety is 'Extra tender and sweet'. Many of these new improved varieties have similar names. A new generation of plant breeding has come up with a range of 'supersweet' sweet corn which grows well in our changeable British climate. Years ago you used to have to test a kernel with a fingernail to see exactly when the right time to pick them was. Too late and you had a hard, dry inedible corn cob. They also used to demand a long-hot Summer. No longer!
I have found that they can stay on the plant for weeks without spoiling! Whenever you pick them they will be perfect.
They are so tender and sweet in fact, that you are supposed to be able to eat them raw like this as if you were eating an apple! I haven't tried them because the thought of them cooked and eaten with butter is too tempting!
So that is exactly what I did!
Of course, I had an audience!
And even the leftovers were pecked over by the chickens!

11 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Fantastic. I've just eaten a big dinner but my mouth is watering all over again!

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

The new sweetcorn varieties are great, each con we've eaten so far has been sweet and perfectly ripe.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Matron, I think Buddy already knows about the new extra sweet taste because for sure he is after one for himself.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Hazel said...

I'm now regretting taking my eye of the ball with regard to sweetcorn this year! I'll be lucky to get a cob a piece of the five plants which survived neglect & slugs this year.

Are the 'extra tender & sweet' a T&M variety? If so, I grew them last year with terrific results - I'll be raiding the Wyevale sales table to find cutprice seeds for next year...

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Dan said...

That is some nice looking corn! We had some with din din tonight, local farmer grown variety though. Your pea seeds arrived last Friday, thanks very much. I'll get your some Pink Berkley Tye Dye tomato seeds, I am just about to collect some. I'll also send you some cool beans seeds.

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I had left that empty corn cob...my favorite part of the summer was when my Mom went out and pulled ears of corn, cleaned them, boiled them and we ate them...immediately!!! Fresh corn on the cob and home grown tomatoes, as close to heaven as one gets on earth....!!!!

Your corn is (for want of a better word) BEAUTIFUL...:)

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, I will have to locate the seed packet to see which variety we grew, ours look much the same as yours with a brown tassel so I may try one to see.I can't wait now after seening yours!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Lou Murray's Green World said...

Beautiful corn. Congrats on such lovely ears. I hadn't thought to let the chickens have a go at the cobs once we humans were done. Brilliant!

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Cathy said...

OOO how I miss sweet, beautiful corn like yours. We just can't get it that way here in Japan. Thanks for sharing!! http://flyingoblog.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

We're picking lovely sweet corn too - lots to go at!

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Funkbunny said...

What delicious looking corn. I can't wait for summer now!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>