Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Critters

Last Spring you might remember that I left my tomatoes outside overnight during an unexpected late frost. Most of these tomatoes have made a full recovery. This was a new variety I bought as a small plant in a local hardware store. The variety is Elisir . I had never heard of it before or since, I am quite impressed!
Couldn't resist snapping this lovely red-bottomed bumble bee yesterday!
Doing a bit of weeding and clearing yesterday I found this hairy caterpillar underneath the old lettuce bed. I just can't remember what sort of butterfly it grows into. Is it a peacock?
Such a dry, dry Summer so this frog has been living in my automatic watering system in the greenhouse!
And it looks as if it is going to be a great year for apples too. My bramley tree is overloaded!

8 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Elisir does look good. I love a shiny tomato!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Oh, the tree is heavy with apples. Nearest to that look over here will be mango, hundreds of them..... The name elisir is romantic, and it match well with the lovely fruits... ~bangchik

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

all is happy and abundant on your plot - what joy!

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Allotment Blogger said...

We're currently doing well for apples too, although your tomato looks a bit ahead of ours. Our frogs are very disgruntled, we are keeping the pond filled up but the ones who used to live elsewhere in the garden are now pond squatters too and it seems a bit crowded for them all!

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

I think I may need to rig up a watering system for my greenhouse as the toms have suffered this summer. I'm looking out for new varieties so may try that one next year.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Rachael said...

Ditto the watering system - can you tell me which system you have got, where you got it and how long it will keep things watered when you're not there? Thanks

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Matron said...

I bought the system from a website autopot.co.uk. It has a large tank, about 5 or 8 gallons which can last a week depending on how many pots you have attached to it and how hot the weather is!

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

You are having great harvests Matron. Your experience and knowledge shows in your results. Envious of our beans and toms, our beans are poor this year. I think the hairy caterpillar may become a lovely moth.
Marian (LondonUK)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>