Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Where do Potatoes Come From?

Well, if you are gardening in the UK then the chances are high that you have planted potatoes with a name that begins with the word 'Pentland' - well that is where I am today, the Pentland Firth is a channel of water just North of the most North Easterly part of the UK. From here we get the finest Scottish seed potatoes with names such as Pentland Dell, Pentland Crown, Pentland Javelin...oodles more! The best virus free seed potatoes come from here because it is just too cold to suffer blight or other fungal diseases.
Tomorrow we are parking under the Forth Bridge and arriving at South Queensferry for a day trip to Edinburgh Castle. If any keen-eyed bloggers on the East Coast of Britain want a view of the Queen Victoria on Saturday morning, the Captain has promised that he will bring us close into the coast near Scarborough and Flamborough Head at about 7am on Saturday morning as we travel South back down to civilization!

7 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

I didn't realise Pentland was a hotbed of potato production. Enjoy Edinburgh!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I'll be at Scarborough all day today - shame I'll miss waving to you!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

still huffing that you didn't call into carrick for a cuppa.... :) Andrew said he saw the boat and everything.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Hi Matron!!! If I shout loud enough you might hear me - because I'm in Thurso today on the Pentland Firth!

I have to correct a point of detail, being an Edinburgian I know that "Pentland" named potatoes come from the Scottish Crop Research Institute in Roslin, just outside Edinburgh, (It's next door to where Dolly the sheep was convieved and also the home of Roslin Chapel as featured in thar Dan Brown story ...at the foot of the Pentland Hills.

Pity I'm not at home to meet you.

Mal

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

Hi Matorn
sounds like a great trip!
enjoy the rest of your journey

Jane

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Veg Heaven - We were there at 6am this morning! lovely views. Back home tomorrow.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I am quite familiar with Portland cement.... a different thing altogether but sounds so close... ~bangchik

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>