Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Fruits of Summer

Blog posts are coming thick and fast at the moment. So much is happening on my patch, it is the time of year when the garden is most productive. All this soft fruit is ready all at once. Collectively known here as 'Summer Fruits' I think a spoonful of this is headed into a smoothie (I'm not a great fan!) the rest will, of course, be put into a Summer Pudding.
Loganberries are amazing! Just once a year I cut back the current year's shoots and tie in next years. About 10 minutes work and that's all I have to do in a whole year! These loganberries are growing in a shady corner under the bramley tree so the birds haven't discovered them yet.
The Loganberry is a cross between a blackberry and a raspberry. It was originaly bred by an American Lawyer James Harvey Logan in the early 20th century. Until now I thought that it was usually too sharp to eat raw, and I always cooked them. Until yesterday... I had forgotten these and they have stayed on the stem and properly ripened to a darker pink colour. The taste is wonderfully sweet and rich! Not all of them survived to be cooked!!
I have just a few small strawberries left, gooseberries are not good this year due to sawfly and drought. Raspberries are brilliant because I have been making sure they are well watered. Blackcurrants are good because they enjoyed the cold Winter, as did the redcurrants.
I just picked these over, gave them a very short rinse and with a spoonful of sugar put them in the microwave for just 5 minutes. Heaven!

12 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger lotusleaf said...

Mouth watering summer fruit! I wish I could grow them.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Summer pudding is fabulous. You should be allowed it in heaven!

My tayberries are much the same as your loganberries in terms of sweetness. They are at their best when very dark) which is when they are at their most tempting to the birds!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

How wonderful! I love berries. We've got rasperry, blueberry and strawberry plants in the garden so far, but those loganberries do look pretty good.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

My strawberries are a bust this year - the weather has been too cold and over cast for too long - and what finally has made it to ripen is getting eaten first by the slugs. kind of pitiful really. Still waiting for the raspberries. But the blueberry bushes are loaded this year and should produce a beautiful harvest.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Wow Matron! What a feast you have there.

Celia
x

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

what a great selection of fruit! I wish I had more room, still we had a great strawberry harvest and the raspberries are coming thick and fast now.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Those bowls look very tempting! I still need to try those gooseberries. Found some in the woods a little while ago but they were all thorny.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi Matron, a delicious looking harvest!Our strawberries were wonderful this year ,raspberries are jsut ripening and our blueberries are looking good this year too.
Muffins are what I make most of with the summer fruits.

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Allotment Blogger said...

Our strawberries were okay, given that it's their first year in their new home, raspberries are not so great - I think they didn't get watered enough and our tayberry is not established enough to be productive - but our currants are splendid this year!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Your fruit looks wonderful. Home-made Summers Pudding, what a treat :}

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Karen said...

If Loganberries can grow in the shade, I might need to find space for some. I have berry envy! Only got a handful of raspberries and strawberries this year due to the crummy cold spring, and then my blueberry bushes don't seem to have much to offer either. I suck at fruit, I guess! Unlike you, obviously!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Karen - I planted this as a small 2ft stick only a few years ago. Right up against a fence in a corner under the apple tree. It has gone rampant and I really don't do that much to it. Seems to do well in this partial shade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>