Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Planting out Leeks

Leeks are definitely slow growers. I bought this packet of F1 hybrid leeks 'Oarsman' after talking to a man from the National Vegetable Society last year at the RHS Wisley Autumn show. It is just so wonderful to be able to talk with someone who is an expert in a specific field, and we were having an involved conversation about the problems with leek moth, and growing leeks generally. Most people have heard of Mussleburgh leeks, and they are an old established favourite, but the man from the NVS told me that he always grew 'Oarsman' as he felt they were far superior. So here I am giving it a go.
They had some lovely root development in the bottom of the pot. I watered them well this morning to give them a good start.
Separated out the individual leek seedlings. You can if you wish, give the top green leaves a bit of a hair cut with a pair of scissors to reduce the stress on a newly planted seedling, but generally speaking, leek seedlings are 'as hard as old boots'. Easy to handle and transplant well.
I dibbed a hole in the soil and dropped the seedlings down to the bottom.
Fill the hole with water and allow the soil from the side of the hole to fall in and cover the roots at the bottom of the hole.
Leave the seedling in this hole-ette... there is no need to fill it in further. As time goes on, the leeks will get taller and the hole will fill itself in naturally. The more of the leek that is underground, the more blanch/white you will get. I am just starting to collect cardboard toilet rolls to go round them as they get a bit bigger.

11 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Hell Matron, those are 'robust' leeks! I planted my early leeks out this week and they weren't a patch on those!

(You must have trimmed the roots some so they sat down nicely in the holes?)

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Kath said...

They are certainly strong looking plants Matron. It's not a variety I'm familiar with. I'll have to look out for them.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Your leeks look good Matron, I need to get mine out, waiting for the cabbages to come out first. I'm going to try growing them in lengths of water pipe.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Fabulous timing - your "lesson" could not have come on a better day. This afternoon a neighbour unexpectedly gave me a pot of leeks - now my only problem is working out where the h*ll to plant them!

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger miss m said...

Those are some healthy looking seedlings ! Mine were much smaller when I planted them out. I'm not taking any chances with leek moth this year and will keep them covered with netting throughout. Good luck with your crop !

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Hello, Matron. I, too, am growing leeks this year for the first time. A friend gifted me with a potful of starts along with the same planting instructions as you describe in your blog. Thanks for posting your pics. I now feel very leek-savvy. ;-D

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Those look like nice leeks Matron. I almost never see anything but the Musselburgh seeds offered. I wonder where I could find this variety of seeds?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Okay so why do your leeks look huge and mine are still tiny? :(

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

looking good! We have musselburghs in and another new type for us, but I can't remember the name already - duh! I love leeks x

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

I'd never had thought of planting leek seedlings like that in one pot. I surely will do next time. Thanks Matron.

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prick seedlings out into large pot, starting on edge of pot, spiral staircase approach about 20/25 to pot let them grow on to apx 12inch's tall, then plant out, good luck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>