Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, April 19, 2010

Still in the Greenhouse

The temperature in the greenhouse over the past few days has been rising. Most of these little modules have to be watered every day, even twice a day. Still not ready to go out, we are still getting frosts most nights so only hardy plants can go out at the moment.

I am pleased that several of my lemongrass seeds have germinated, so let's see how long I can keep them alive!

These are some salmon flowered peas that Celia from Purple Podded Peas gave me last year. I look forward to seeing these lovely flowers.

PSB Broccoli 'Rudolph' and Brussels Sprout 'Bosworth' have now germinated. This is the first time I have grown sprouts. Hope I will have some for Christmas! fingers crossed.
Here is the PSB Rudolph that I planted this time last year. Still producing loads of lovely broccoli almost every day. Patience is something that new gardeners have to learn! this was sown a year ago - but well worth it.

10 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I have some Rudolph seeds - must get them sown!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I think you'll love the Salmon Flowered Peas (I got them from Resbie - she has a review on www.daughterofthesoil.com)

I'm sown some PSB for next year... fingers crossed. Your's looks beautiful - bet it tastes good too.

Celia

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Jo said...

My greenhouse is full up too. There's lots of things which I'm not chancing planting out until the risk of frost has gone. I had a go at sprouts last year, but they didn't grow very well. I'm giving them a go again this year.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

That is the problem at the moment. Even on dull days the greenhouse warms up, boils on sunny days, but the nights can still get very cold.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

I wish I wish I WISH I had a greenhouse. That'll be one addition to our backyard that I must have next year. Looks good in there :)

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Ate our first PSB tonight and it was worth the wait, like you say a little patience is what's required!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Dan said...

The PSB is very cool. I am trying a spring variety and a fall variety this year. Overwintering may be an issue here but I am trying anyway.

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Lou Murray's Green World said...

Lovely plants. Your broccoli brings me to envy. BTW, are you affected by the Iceland volcano ash?

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Chicken lover said...

We had a significant frost last night so everything is still under glass at the mo. Just acquired a cold frame from Mum so hopefully will start to move things in a couple of weeks.
That broccoli looks delicious!

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous "Molly" said...

Thought I'd let you know that the red-flowered broad bean seeds you gave me last year have their first sets of blossoms. They are soooo pretty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>