Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Spring Cleaning

You might remember that Matron was in trouble last year when I was blogging about my tits... and my titbox. Apparently the blogger powers decided that this might be an unsavoury website and started the process of taking me offline! phew!You can rest assured that Matron is giving her titbox a good Spring clean, brushing out the old nesting material and drying it out in the propagator for a couple of days. It will be back out in the garden before you can say Matron's tits!
Something else that is springing to life again is my overwintered spinach. I find that when it is overwintered the cropping in Spring is spectacular. This perpetual spinach has been resting under the snow, but just wait and see - with a bit of spring cleaning and a good feed it will be shooting up any day now!

5 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I've had a nestbox in my garden for about four years, but it's always stood empty. I think my garden is too open for the birds, although they do come and eat from the feeder.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Useful reminder to clear out our bird boxes, matron. Thanks!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Maureen said...

Ohh I need to springclean now, you have inspired me to get a move on.
Have a good week-end.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Tempting fate with your titbox cleaning comments!

I adore overwintered spinach. Unfortunately, my overwintered crop got hit badly by our 3 weeks of arctic blasts in December. I did not get them covered fast enough and it was their demise.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

The spinach is looking rather verant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>