Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The Last of the Pumpkins!

This is the last of my Queensland Blue squash. You might remember that back in Spring I drew a smiley face in one of my baby pumpkins. Well, the corner of the smile started to soften slightly so I thought it was time to use it.Teddy is very proud of his Delicata squash as well. I love this variety which is also known as the sweet potato squash because of its lovely dry, sweet texture. Nice one Ted!

8 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that strategically placed marrow, Teddy (ahem!!)

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I'm going to have a go at growing squash for the first time this year. It will be good if I've got some still to eat in February.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Boy! Teddy has every reason to be proud of his squash, he certainly did much better than me! You're so lucky still enjoying your fab pumpkins - next year maybe we'll have more luck.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Ooooooo Matron! Now then, you'll get your blog suspended again if you carry on like this...

One more squash left in my store too - a Chicago Warted Hubbard. Nice but not as good as the Heritage Seed Library catalogue description promised. Not enough heat and sunshine I guess.

Celia

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Rachael said...

That's impressive Teddy! (wink wink)
I plan to grow a lot more squashes this year since squash soup has become very popular in this household.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted is happy to see you!

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Lou Murray's Green World said...

I've seen these flat blue pumpkins labeled as Queensland Blues and Jarrahdales. One is flat and one is round. I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to know for sure which is which.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Lou - interesting point. All of my QBs this year were square at the shoulders to some extent. Several plants from the same seed packet produced squashes of different size and shape. The feature of this one was the flat/square shoulders. There are quite a few different blue pumpkins particularly from the Southern Hemisphere (eg.Crown Prince) but the ~QBs I grew this year have an exceptional texture and flavour. Definitely a keeper for next year but can be a bit iffy in our climate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>