Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, February 19, 2010

Back in from the Cold!

I had a wonderful time in Tromso, Norway. I was lucky enough to see the Northern Lights every night for three nights!Locals told me it was the best show they had seen all year and I only had to wait an hour after arriving at my hotel for the show to begin!
Needless to say I was up there for the dogsledding as well. Matron loves mushing!
This lovely girl is a very special dog. She led my sled all around the wilderness of 'Kvaloya' - Whale Island. She was the lead dog 3 years ago in the world famous Iditarod race in Alaska. She pulled a dogsled over 1100miles from Anchorage to Nome. Whattagirl! Inspiring! I am honoured to have patted you!
There is a cable car running up the top of the mountain overlooking the Tromso island. A spectacular view from the top..if a little chilly at times!
The view from my sled!

12 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

How beautiful! I'm glad you had a good time.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger miss m said...

Glad you had a wonderful trip. The view from the top is amazing !

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Wow what a great holiday! That's something different.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Looks like you had a great time, and I'm pleased you managed to see the Northern Lights, I bet it was spectacular.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time, Matron. Glad you were able to see the Aurora.
I bet Buddy knew you had been fraternizing with huskies.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Hi Matron! It was through my Geography book that I came to know about the Aurora Borealis for the first time. It was hard to believe, as the description said that it is 'like a giant Saree unfurling in sky', but now, how I wish I could see the natural wonder with my own eyes.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Northern Lights - lucky you!
That famous dog has a magnetic stare!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Matron said...

John - yes! Buddy did give me a good sniffing over when I got back!
Green Thumb - what a wonderful description of the aurora! A delicate silk saree is just what it could be!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

You had a fantastic holiday and the photos are beautiful, I can almost feel the cold crisp air from them. The description of the Northern lights in the above comment is exactly what you captured in your photo!

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

That sled dog is absolutely stunning looking - so beautiful and intense. Glad you had a great trip - more great memories for you!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Wow, the norther lights are cool. Will have to see them one of these days. Looks really cold there in Norway, kind of like how our winter used to look.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

That is one beautiful dog. Simply stunning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>