Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Apple Pie

I went out into the garage this week and the lovely smell of my stored apples hit me immediately. They seem to be doing fine, though I now have the urge to use some of them to make an apple pie!Isn't it interesting how your sense of smell puts ideas in your head that just won't go away! These are 'liberated' windfall apples from Wisley last year! I have been dreaming about freshly baked apple pie for days now....
I bought myself a little experiment this afternoon at the garden centre. Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed? I know that you can plant the stems you buy from the supermarket, but I thought I'd give this a go this year. I will start them off in a heated propagator and see how I get on. Watch this space.

14 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Matron, I am certain that apple pie will taste twice as nice as any other! I am no help on the lemon grass but will definitely watch the space.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Apple pie uhm sounds good, never grown lemon grass though will be good to see how you get on.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Rachael said...

I did grow lemon grass once - from a packet of free seed. I didn't really know what I was going to do with it so my efforts were a bit half hearted, and it probably didn't get enough tlc. Nevertheless it did grow! And I didn't use any...

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I can almost smell those apples! I'll be interested in your lemongrass results.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Apple pie is always a good choice. In fact, you can't much go wrong with pie - whatever the kind!

Never grown lemon grass, so no help to offer.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I've never grown lemon grass so I will follow your progress with interest. My mouth is watering now for apple crumble.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

It's National Pie Week - go for it!

Does your Apple Pie have pastry on the bottom AND the top or just on the top. The OH and I have been arguing about this one for years - have I stumbled on another regional divide?

Celia

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Always welcome an apple pie:) I grow lemon grass outside my house. They are hardy and add a distinctive taste to dishes. Love it. Called serai in Malay. Didn't know about growing from seeds.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh how envious am I - we have just finished off the last of our apples. Have lots of blackberries if you want to trade!

Hope all goes well with your lemon grass seeds - it's nice to be daring and experiment

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger allot of veg said...

Ramond Blanc made aplle tart on his programme last night and made me crave apple pie. Now your apples have tipped me over the edge. Tommorow will be apple pie day.

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Molly said...

I had great good luck a few years ago with a packet of T&M lemongrass seeds. I should probably try to divide my plant one of these days so I'd have more to use.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh I need apple pie right now! Now you've got that into my head I'll be fantasising about a big slice for days, haha.
Very interested to see how the lemongrass goes, yummy.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

I am interested to see how you get on with the lemongrass. Not something I have ever tried. Having just discovered that we have used all our stock of apples from the freezer I am jealous that you have some left! I have left you an award on my blog. I hope you will accept, you are not obliged to pass it on. I just thought I would let you know that I like your blog.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

well, I had apple pie for lunch yesterday, just couldn't stop thinking about it since this post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>