Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Giant Courgettes!

Everyone knows what happens to courgettes when you go away for 2 weeks on holiday! They turn into marrows! Someone told me a story last week as we discussed gardening over the breakfast table. In their small town they grow so many courgettes (zucchini) that they just can't get rid of them. If you leave your car unlocked anywhere, instead of having something stolen from inside... you return to find your car filled with zucchini!.. While I was sailing across the Atlantic ocean,
Strolling down Broadway,
Looking out from the top of the Empire State Building..
My garden was growing! This beautiful crop of Noir du Crimee beefsteak tomatoes were just perfect! We enjoyed them this afternoon sliced thickly and drizzled with good olive oyl, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper! yum!
This is by no means all that is going on down on Matron's allotment, but this is just a taster of things to come..
Yellow squash, squash Delicata, black forest courgettes, Noir du Crimee tomatoes, and chocolate cherry tomatoes.

6 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Even though you have a few giant courgettes, you also have a lovely harvest. Those noir du crimee tomatoes look especially good.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A wonderful trip, I'm sure! And a nice veggie welcome home. Last week while driving to work, I notice a few zucchini in the middle of the road! Don't know if the "fell" out of a car or where slingshotted from a nearby neighborhood. WOuld have been a fun post if I would have stopped for a photo. Hope to see a few more shots of your trip.

 
At 3:05 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

The tomatoes look delish! Welcome home. :)

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Korma and Tikka,your occasional chicken visitors, would love the overblown courgettes. Mine love them. I give them about half a biggie sliced up - so that even if they throw it about it lands with a cut side they can peck at.

I love them made into a smooth spiced chutney!

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Darren (Green Change) said...

You can slice one side off those marrows, right down the length of them. Then scoop out all the seeds, so it's like a big fat canoe. Then fill it with Mexican-spiced meat or beans, sprinkle with cheese, and bake. Yum!

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I friend sent me a link when I added my 'monster marrows' post about 20 things to do when overwhelmed by courgettes. I can't remember the link now but I recall the funniest suggestion was to bag up some clothes for the charity shop, hide a zucchini in the bottom of the bag then leg it from the shop before they make the discovery'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>