Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, August 03, 2009

Fresh London Pineapple!

When I walked into my greenhouse this afternoon the sweet aroma of ripe pineapple told me it was time. Anyone who has grown fruit, particularly melons or peaches will tell you that they give off a heavenly fragrance when they are ripe. So the table was prepared.
This pineapple top was prepared below, by pulling off a few layers of leaves to reveal the vestigial roots of the next plant. I will leave this pineapple top in the greenhouse for a few days to dry off and ripen.
The sweet flesh inside was juicy and golden yellow.
The final product was absolutely wonderful. Sweet, fragrant and juicy.
It has been my ambition to grow a pineapple since seeing a documentary about the pineapple pits at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall. It is possible to grow a pineapple in London. The secret??.....heat, warmth and more heat!

20 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That looks amazing! You will very soon have a London plantation I'm sure.

Fabulous blog . . . I look forward to the next post.

Ryan

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Ribbit said...

Very cool! Congratulations.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Congrats and sounds yummy!

 
At 4:00 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

OMG that looks wonderful! It was pretty before you harvested it - but the fruit sliced up looks like it was devine. Brilliant!

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Karen said...

Hey, congrats! I was really looking forward to hearing about the successful completion of this particular project. How fun. So the Hawaiians are not the only ones who get to eat fresh pineapple out of the garden, it seems. Can you grow a new one from the top of the old one? Maybe that's what you were referring to. Hooray!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous easygardener said...

I must say that is amazing. I wouldn't have thought it possible to get one to grow to maturity. You must be very pleased.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Fabulous!!! Hope it was the best ever. Now you'll be an expert and in years to come we'll all be sick hearing about your pineapple farm out the back of the house. Haha. God on you, fingers crossed for the next beauty! x

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger LittleGreenFingers said...

Mightily impressive. Don't you have to go to Buck House now and present it to her Maj?

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger miss m said...

Mmmmmm !

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Mack said...

My neighbor here in Seattle just shared your blog address with me. She had been to a talk that you gave here. Thank you so much for your informative posts. A pineapple in London - who knew?

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Didn't you do well. Congratulations. I have heard that it can be done but I think this is the first time I've seen it.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Oh Matron... I'm drooling!

Congratulations on your beautiful pineapple!!!

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi Matron, congratulations! Did you grow this one from the top of one that you bought to eat? If so, I wouldn't giving it a whirl myself.
Regards.
Marian (LondonUK)

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i can almost taste it. thinking of getting one myself after seeing yours.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Well done Matron, it looks almost to good to eat!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

Congratulations! I have been following the pineapple posts and it looks a winner after all.It looks fresh and juicy and I am sure tastes much nicer than any that has travelled thousands miles

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jane Perrone, Horticultural blog said...

Excuse me while I drool ... that looks heavenly. Worth the work, I guess?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Matron said...

I saw them growing last year in the Azores under glass. I asked lots of questions about the growing conditions. The main ingredient is HEAT! and lots of it. The glass houses I visited were hotter than a hot sauna. I kept these in an insulated, covered, heated propagator all Winter.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Looks so tasty! The power of suggestion - I think I can smell it from here.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Rosemarie said...

No way, you grew a pineapple? That's the coolest thing I ever saw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>