Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer Pudding!

According to my calendar, it is officially Summer now! The soft fruit is in full production at the moment and has to be picked daily. This seems like the perfect opportunity to make a Summer pudding. Here I have strawberries, raspberries, loganberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries. Just line a pudding basin with sliced white bread, heat the fruit with some sugar in the microwave until softened. When you pour all this into the basin, the juice will be soaked up by the bread. Leave this to cool and soak in the fridge with a weighted plate on top for a minimum of 24hours, 48 would be better.
Serve with cream!
More news about my Yard Long Beans. You will remember that my first planting in May did not germinate at all. My second sowing in the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago was more successful. I sent an email to the seed supplier Dobies, to ask if in their opinion these would grow outside in the British climate. I received a short reply stating that they should be able to grow outside.
I have planted these outside now, with a little protection from some cloches. Some internet research has revealed that these really are a sub-tropical plant grown in Asia and the Far East. By all accounts they can be temperamental and are prone to keeling over at the first sign of a chill! The red ones, Red Noodle Bean is even more temperamental. I will be happy if I can just get them to grow a bit more.
Thrilled if I can actually get some yard long beans from them!

17 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

That looks delicious! I never heard about loganberries, they look similar to thaiberries.
Hope those yard long beans start growing soon.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Karen - An Artist's Garden said...

Yummy harvest of soft fruit - I do envy you - we have not planted any yet, but we have earmarked the spot for them.
K

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Dragonfly Lady said...

OH! Summer Pudding, that brings back memories of the UK!!! I wish I was there with you to share!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

My yard long beans did indeed keep over at the first sign of a chill. I'm not exactly brilliant at acclimatising beans, so I'll give them a miss for a while!

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

OH my goodness what a harvest of fabulous fresh berries - super jealous, ours aren't ready yet. Please send me some summer pudding, golly I could eat some right now!!!!!

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger vuejardin said...

Thanks for the quick pudding recipe, it looks yummy! Your posting inspires me to add loganberries, redcurrants and gooseberries on my shopping list next spring.

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

The summer pudding looks yummy! I was kind of cringing when you started out talking about "white bread" which is a real "yuck" item for me personally... but the finished product looks quite appetizing and worthy of a try. I bet lining the basin with some shortbread cake would be even better!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Wonderful pud Matron! The white bread lining isn't so bad if you make your own white bread kitsapFG.
Good luck with the beans.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

That really made my mouth water. It is a long time since I last had any loganberries.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Captain Tongo said...

Hi Matron,

Do you mind if I pass the Summer Pudding recipe on to my listeners?

It's one of my favourite puds.

We're currently suffering a huge rainstorm which should clear the air.

Hopefully water my brassica cage as well!

The Captain.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Captain, be my guest! There is so much soft fruit to be picked at the moment, you could just about make one every day!

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger Shari said...

I'm amazed at the variety of fruit! Your pictures make my mouth water.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

That's funny that the supplier wouldn't know that. Good luck with those beans!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger islandgal246 said...

Matron that pudding looks scrumptious any leftovers? LOL

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely selection of fruits for your summer pudding! Yum, yum!!
I love your blog. Am following :)

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just too good! My mouth's watering!

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Scott said...

Great post! thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>