Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Out in the Big Wide World

I didn't think it would be long before the tits left their box. I was right. There were little baby birds everywhere, barely able to fly. Parents were flying around everywhere collecting food and feeding them. This little one I think, was the runt of the litter and seemed quite dazed about the big wide world.
Must have been a steep learning curve for it when a big, black furry thing gave it a sniff! Buddy was very gentle and just curious.
The golden rule this time of year is to leave baby birds alone. They may look helpless but they are just finding their way round this scary world!
PS. I found a wonderful bird blog from John in Lincolnshire, take a look at Midmarsh. The photography is stunning.

13 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I'm still often dazed about the big wide world! Buddy is amazing. A canine ornothologist!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Thank you very much for your kind mention.
Bobby is like Buddy - gentle with the creatures he finds except when they make a sudden swift move. Then I have to call him away. Fortunately he is very obedient but being a Lurcher his hunting instinct kicks in occasionally.
Lovely photos of you little visitor.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Los of babies here too, just the time I do not want to see our regular Sparrow Hawk visitors.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Very cute. Good thing your dog is so friendly. I have to feed the birds in the front yard because one of my dogs sees everything as prey, even the smallest birds.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous easygardener said...

Mine are still tweeting away in their box. I am going away for a week shortly. Just my luck if I miss the exodus!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

What FABULOUS photos. You're so lucky to have such extemely cute visitors staying in your garden.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Too cute! I always miss the baby birds that leave our birdhouse. I hope I get to see some this year.
What type of bird are they?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Catherine - in Britain this is a Great Tit, but I think in the USA you might know them as chickadees?

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Vaiva said...

I found one just the same here in Vilnius yesterday. It was staying in a really dangerous place, in the middle of the road where cats like to walk... So we picked it and put in the tree a little bit higher - so that the bird could still be close to his parents, learn to fly and not be eaten by cats.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger lisa said...

That baby bird is positively ADORABLE! I'm glad your dog is such a gentle "birdysitter"...my cats would not be nearly so courteous. (They stay indoors fortunately.)

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Good morning, how very cute and great photography too. I smiled when I saw the last pic, I think he looks a bit like W.Churchill they got the same smile- :-)

Greetings from Tyra in THE GREENHOUSE

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

There are baby birds everywhere here too. Had to rescue a baby blackbird the other day from being eaten by one of the neighbourhood cats. My own kitties stay inside this time of year until all the baby birds have learned how to fly in the Bliss garden. Put the blackbird baby on the roof of the garden cottage where its parents came to feed it. The Bliss team were with their noses stuck against the window in the conservatory, frightfully not amused.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Congratulations on your first ripe tomato!

Here in Wyoming, USA, we're at the very beginning of our growing season...

I still have Romas to put in my Square Foot Garden.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy Gardening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>