Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Chicken Sitting!

Tikka (right) and Korma (left) are visiting again! This time they are banished to the lawn and borders and I am trying to keep them away from the veggie patch. Moments after release they sprinted into the greenhouse and started to investigate my newly potted up tomato plants.
Jumping up, squashing them with big feet while the other one flicks out the potting compost on to the newly swept floor... the little hooligans. I bet they will bring a can of spray paint and really vandalize it next time!
Elsewhere in the veggie plot (and safely out of reach of the girls) are my asparagus spears.
This morning I discovered two newly laid eggs waiting for me. Korma lays the lighter one and Tikka a darker egg.
So what did we have for breakfast this morning?
Couldn't be fresher!



10 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

LOL

It's their revenge for you teasing them with that jar of sauce last time they visited!

Celia :-)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger EB said...

Fantastic! Hens have so much personality, I wish we could keep some. One of my best memories is of lifting plants at my parents' house with 2 hens eagerly pecking and scratting out the bus around me as I went along the row. And I envy you the asparagus (1st prize for most phallic vegetable!) We had some a couple of days ago but it was bought. Must get round to it.

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous David in Kansas said...

Fresh and free from unwanted stuff!

Bon apetit!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Those eggs look great. I could use a few chickens to eat all the slugs in my cold frame. Nice chickens in action photos! PS. I have a photo up of broad bean buds that are just about to burst open, can't wait!

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

How fun! Nice for they to leave you a gift, too.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Tattyanne said...

I didnt realise just how entertaining chickens are until I got my own. Now I love them to bits! Bring on the good life. Who knows what next? A pig maybe.....

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Kath said...

What a breakfast! I'm sure you enjoyed it.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Chickens gone wild! LOL! They are quite the characters.

Love the breakfast.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

I expected a runny chucky egg for dipping, that one would be too dry for me.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Red Icculus said...

I forget who sent me in the way of your blog, but the Autopots are great. I am doing all of my outdoor veggies in Autopots this year. Best of luck, and hope the chickens don't scratch them up too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>