Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mid Winter Veggies

So, Christmas day came and I was out on the patch to see what I could dig up for Christmas dinner. You can just see the neck of this parsnip 'hollow crown' peeking up above the surface of the soil. Excitement builds... what will it be like? Not that bad! I grow my veggies on heavy London clay soil which I have worked and enriched for the last 25years. Not really light enough for really good root vegetables, they prefer sandy soil. My parsnips were shallow and forked, but enough for a satisfying feed.
Other veggies I picked were some leeks. Quite small this year, not really a good Summer and I think I planted them a bit late, but still very tasty. And Jerusalem artichokes 'fuseau' which made a great addition to the plate.
Boxing day was a fantastic sunny, cold day so I went out and enjoyed a whole day's digging and tidying up! Isn't it great to get out there and blow out the cobwebs. I turned over my compost heap and mulched my rhubarb with a thick layer of compost! So satisfying to get a good day of work done down on the allotment!

8 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger kathy said...

What nice looking vegetables! I have some sunchokes too in my garden. I haven;t dug them yet, mostly because I don;t know what to do with them. Someday I will dig them and find a recipe. I have heard they last OK til spring.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Nathan said...

your veggys look great. It's been great to get out in the garden and do some work while the sun shines. I wish I'd grown Parsnips now they really look nice.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Gotta love a December harvest! I could see the chard poking out of the snow just a little today. But, don't think it is up for a harvest.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Corner Gardener Sue said...

You have some good looking veggies there. I grew Jerusalem artichokes for a few years. It seems I had trouble keeping it in the area I had for it. We liked them raw better than cooked.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

They look great to me!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Kit Aerie-el said...

Those veggies are beauties! Makes me want to get out in the garden and work the soil...but there's still snow, so I'll have to be happy with planning for spring plantings.
Happy harvesting!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Wow, what a festive treat.
I only had a couple of leeks and some stumpy carrots - not even worth a pic!
All the best for next year
TTFN
Gaz

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

It's all looking good Matron! Are you able to garden the whole year?

My parsley root looked like your parsnips.

I didn't have anything from the garden for Christmas dinner this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>