Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Bulgarian Giant Leeks

I couldn't resist something I saw in the Dobies 2009 seed catalogue. This picture caught my eye, and I thought I would have to get some Bulgarian Giant Leeks. From this photo it looks as if they might reach about 2 or 3 feet long! Has anyone tried them? Seed packet arrived in the post this morning.
I might try growing batches in succession throughout the Summer and see how hardy they are. I just love leeks because they are the only thing still standing on the allotment right the way through the Winter.

11 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never heard of that variety, but it reminded me that I needed to thank you for the tip about putting toilet-tissue cores around the leeks as they grow. I tried it this year and I had the most wonderful blanched and grit-free leeks ever!

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Molly - I will have to save kitchen foil and kitchen roll or even turkey foil tubes for these eh?

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Dan said...

That is one promising looking variety. I will be looking forward to seeing them grow next season.

My challenge for next year is to grow some massive onions. Not sure why I have this desire but I just do, maybe it's a man thing.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hope that you don't get a lot of wind or you'll have to stake them :-)

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Dan - there is a great book/video by Medwyn Williams on his website about how to grow show/giant veggies if you are interested.
easygardener - I do get a lot of wind... but I think that is due to my artichokes..otherwise my garden is fairly sheltered!

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, they look enormous. Do post some pictures if they get this big!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I will have to check that out.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger VP said...

Ooh, I think I'll try some of those! Iuse loo roll tubes too. I get very funny looks from my allotment neighbours, but anything to get whiter, grit free leeks without earthing up is good in my book!

I agree with you re frost over at my place and I hope your flooding subsides soon. My clay plot is absolutely sodden at the moment :(

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Wow! I've never grown leeks, but I plan on having them next season. Fellow gardener, Michel, from Xanga blog, has told me what he has been growing for pies and they sound good. The variety is "jaunes du Poitou". I found one seed source here in the States that sells them. I'll have to start them in the house 8 weeks before last frost date.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

easygardener might be right, you may have to stake them!!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see that someone else can't resist buying unusual seeds -last year my great success was giant Limousin turnips from Real Seeds. Also, kale are another crop which, like leeks, will stand happily through the roughest winter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>