Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Matron's Spiced Christmas Chutney

Here is a wonderful recipe which I adapted from a basic apple chutney recipe, but with a Christmas spices flavour. You must prepare your spiced vinegar in advance. Bring 1 pint of malt vinegar to the boil with generous quantities of your favourite spices. I used star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Boil gently for just a minute or so, then leave all the spices in the vinegar to cool down completely, ideally leave for at least 24hours or longer for the flavours to develop.

Peel and chop 4lbs of cooking apples
peel and chop 1lb of pumpkin and dice into roughly half inch cubes
chop 1lb onions (red onions if you like)
3oz fresh grated ginger
1lb brown sugar
grated rind and juice of an orange
4oz dried cranberries
4oz dried mixed fruit
half a pint of mulled wine (gluhwein)

Put all the ingredients except the sugar, into a large pan and bring to the boil and simmer until reduced. This might take 30 minutes, but there is enough pectin in the apples and pumpkin for a good consistency. Then add all the sugar to the mixture and stir gently and continue to simmer until it has reduced further. You may like to add more of your favourite ground spices (I do!)

This recipe is a slightly sweeter chutney but you can decrease the sugar if you like, the flavour improves on keeping - fantastic on cold meats or cheese!

8 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Oooh that sounds gorgeous! I love chutney and I'm a sucker for cloves!

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I that I made your Norfolk Millions Pie and was very impressed (as were the other 3 people who helped polish it off!). I'm one pumpkin down and three to go.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Easygardener - glad you enjoyed the pie. I am currently experimenting with the recipe - I am going to swap the single cream for curd cheese and bake a pumpkin cheesecake!!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Sounds like a very nice recipe to try out. Will use less sugar as I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

BTW Tara's been to the seaside for the first time last weekend and she enjoyed it very much.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I have just made a note of your chutney recipe - sounds delicious, shall make it for Christmas.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Woodland Fay said...

Great Blog good to hear from another Hillingdon allotment holder. I'm always on the lookout for a 'goodly' chutney, thanks F

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Nic said...

Hi there. Would love to make this chutney, however whilst you mention that you need to make the spiced vinegar in advance it doesn't say how much is needed in the actual recipe...Could you clarify please? Thanks!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Unknown!... that's one pint of vinegar. Most jams and chutneys have equal parts sugar and liquid. One pound to one pint. Hope you enjoy it! I've just made another batch this year, couldn't find dried cranberries so I used dried Goji berries. Quite festive!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>