Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, November 24, 2008

The Original Pumpkin Pie

There is always so much pumpkin to use when you grow your own! You will find that a half of a pumpkin when it is dry roasted in the oven will produce only about 2 cups of puree. I sieved my roasted pumpkin and left it to drain excess water overnight and it halved in size. Norfolk Million Pie is the old English recipe from East Anglia which was taken to the New World by the Pilgrim fathers and enjoyed at a first Thanksgiving meal when they arrived. I made one today, here's how it goes!
Line an 8" pie tin with pastry
One cup of sieved pumpkin puree (8oz)
6oz dark Muscovado sugar
3 eggs, beaten
5oz single (light) cream
ground nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
2oz dried fruit (sultanas)
2oz jam (apricot,plum or greengage)
Line the bottom of your pastry case with a layer of jam, then mix up all the other ingredients into a bowl. Do not be alarmed at the thin consistency, it will set. Pour the pumpkin pie mixture into the pastry case and grate more fresh nutmeg on the top if you want (I love nutmeg!).
Make a pastry lattice over the top of the pie with the leftover pastry bits. Put in a very hot oven gas *8 or 220C for just 10 minutes, then without opening the oven door turn down the heat to gas *3 or 170C for a further 35mins or until cooked.
Enjoy!

11 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

It looks yummie and that is what I call a perfect pumpkin post for a pumpkin pie novice as myself / LOL Tyra Thank you!

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting a deja vu moment - about looking for courgette recipes.
I have people staying this weekend and your recipe just might use up part of the large pumpkin sitting in chunks in my fridge.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

That looks fantastic Matron! It's a bit like pumpkin Bakewell!

Thank you for the recipe.
Celia

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger VP said...

Yum! However, I'll just have to stay feasting my eyes on your pie as our pumpkin harvest was a tad on the meagre side this year. Only my Baby Bear pumpkins produced and they're earmarked for soup!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger kathy said...

This looks so yummy. And you made a beautiful crust. I'll mark this recipe to try someday. I love pumpkin pie!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

That looks delicious! Have a Happy Thanksgiving

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Looks wonderful! I thought about trying this today, but didn't have the jam on hand. Other than the jam & fruit it is quite the recipe I used today! (ok, no lattice top).

In the past, I haven't drained the cooked pumpkin and it cooked up nicely. Today, I did notice how much liquid it had. I drained off only what would pour. I hope it will still set nicely. I had more pie filling than needed so I also have a little dish on the side.

Hubby isn't a pumpkin fan so we'll have an apple pie in soon, too. Dinner is still in the oven, so the house is very fragrant right now!

Thanks for sharing! I'll be trying this with the next pumpkin to be cooked.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Oh my that looks good and great job on the pastry.

Interesting idea to spread preserves on the base, I will have to try this.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger David J said...

Mmmmmmm Yum! That looks delicious.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Wow, that looks so delicious. I think I've had pumpkin pie once, and I remember how good it was. Do you ever make rhubarb pie?

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Always on the look out for great new recipes. Your site has become the place to visit for me this year.
Have a great holiday and look forward to a fantastic gardening 2009.
Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>