Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, November 02, 2008

More Last Pickings

Yesterday I went out and picked a big bunch of spinach. These plants were planted in between my tomato plants in Spring as ground cover underneath them. This was an example of intercropping which seems to have worked well. The spinach suppressed any weed growth under the tomatoes, and now that the tomatoes have all been taken down because of blight, the spinach seems to have put on a growth spurt. Actually I pick two different pickings of spinach. One first picking of the outer leaves and the damaged leaves - to cook as a veggie supplement for my dog Buddy, and another picking for us humans!
I went out and picked this last lot of Vermont Cranberry Beans. These were seeds that I 'liberated' from George Washington's heritage vegetable garden at Mount Vernon, Washington. These are an ancient variety, from the Borlotti family, which date back to the 18th Century and which were the ingredient of the original Boston Baked Bean.

7 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Are the Cranberry beans really like cranberries - a dark red? I have True Red Cranberry - and it is really like a cranberry. A beautiful bean - but it is green with one or two only having the slightest bit of red marking on the pod.

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Barlotti type beans, so colourful and the shelled beans are so nice to eat.
I see you've still got one of your pumpkins. I'll have to take the bit between my teeth and start on mine. Like trying to cook a small planet!

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

good long season you're having there, nice to still have fresh veg coming in.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

I wonder if this is the type of cranberry bean that I have. I bought my first ones from the grocery store and let them dry out. Thankfully they germinated. Mine are fat, tan beans speckled with cranberry. What about yours?

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Matron said...

About these beans.. last year I posted a blog about these because on the same plant I had both cream beans with purple flecks and purple beans with cream flecks. Apparently this phenomenon is called mosaicism.. or something like that.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Ah, it's what Rebsie (Daughter of the Soil) calls day-for-night. I had just a couple of my bird's Egg like that. All but two beans were cream and red-flecked but 2 were dark red with cream flecks. Some of these beans must be quite closely related?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

Mine are consistantly the same coloration. By mosaicism do you mean that as a way of describing genetic expression.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>