Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, September 08, 2008

Pumpkins and Chillis

I've been out on the patch recently clearing up all the debris left behind after this damp Summer. I have cut all my squashes and pumpkins and left them in a sheltered spot to ripen. I am amazed at the wonderful colour of my pumpkin Rouge vif D'Etamps. The colour gets darker every day, it is the most amazing red/orange at the moment. Others here are yellow straightneck squash. Bush Acorn Table Queen and Bush Delicata. I am looking forward to trying one of the Delicata in the next few days, it is supposed to be firm and sweet like sweet potato. Yum!
The Chillis have been struggling through too! I have grown this Jalapeno chilli outdoors on the patio, they are fairly mild but put on a stunning display.
I wasn't really expecting too much when I planted some Scotch Bonnet chilli seeds in the propagator in January. I had bought chillis from a Caribbean shop near me so that I could make some Jerk marinade. Even though we have had a crap Summer, these have produced some small chillis. Just a few days' sunshine would do them all a power of good!

6 Comments:

At 3:57 AM, Blogger Tira said...

Those Rouge vif D'Etamps look spectacular. Congrats on your scotch bonnets!

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Re your comment on my blog about keeping squashes.....

Last year we had some til March....but one did rot.
I saw Joy Larkcom on Gardeners' World saying that she only grows pumpkin Crown Prince nowadays as that one keeps right round til June! So....next year....I'll definitely be growing that one. It is blue....but who cares!

And I did read that if you don't take a good bit of stalk with the squash it won't keep. Two of mine snapped off when I was pulling the bines, so those will get eaten first.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Green thumb said...

Those pumpkins have a really magnificent reddish orange colour. Jalapeno chillies look gorgeous; i feel blessed to see them hanging in their natural state, till now it was only through the absolutely sinful pizzas that i had been introduced to them.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Well done matron,
I am impressed with your squash successes.
Hopefully we will get some growing on our allotment next year.
Always enjoy reading your blog.

TTFN

Gaz @ Reads Retreat

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Oooh, those Scotch Bonnet chilis will be hot!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

I was a bit disappointed on my chilli growth, for a first year gardener I think I've done ok. And I was very happy that you approved of my efforts for a novice.

I think the chillis I managed to get through will become next years seeds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>