Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, August 18, 2008

Squashes and Pumpkins

The pumpkins seem to be maturing early this year. This is one of my Rouge Vif D'Etamps pumpkins. I hope it will darken slightly to a rich ginger colour.
Here I am 'curing' the skin. When they are just picked the skins are still quite soft and you will be able to make an indent with the slightest touch of a fingernail. These will be left in a bright sunny place for a few weeks to harden the skin. They should ripen and mature which will help them keep for longer.
Here are my shallots Pikant. They are beautifully firm and luckily I managed to harvest them and dry them off before this spate of awful wet weather - mid August and it's dreadful here. These shallots are wonderfully sound if a bit small.
Here is one of my Yellow Straightneck squashes. I have been picking them at courgette size all Summer but I let this one get a bit bigger. A firmer creamier texture in my mind, a bit temperamental to grow, but I bought the seeds in the USA so perhaps they are not completely happy in the UK climate.

8 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Rouge Vif D'Etampes is still yellow but I swear my other Winter squash isn't what it said on the packet unless it suddenly develops lots of bumps at the last minute.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger marigold said...

You gotta love yellow squash. I am used to eating the crookneck variety myself (does it grow in the UK?). It's great sliced into 1/4 inch round pieces, then sauteed with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

Wow I hope my pumkin turns out like this one, it's enormous

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hopefully there will be enough sunshine to cure your pumpkins!

Next year I'm growing shallots too (shop prices are ridiculous at the mo) and I'm thinking of trying this variety (pikant) if I can find it over here.

Thanks for the pic of the garden designed by Piet!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

You got some nice looking pumpkins after all. Web seem to be having an early Fall here, maybe you are too.

My shallots were on the small side too. You have quite a bit there.

I'll have plenty for planting and you will too.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger RobD said...

I'm growing the yellow squash - somewhat vaguely labelled 'summer squash' on the packet. Seem to grow OK, but losing quite a few to rot - probably due to the wet weather.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Joe said...

You have some great vegetables there! Shallots are so wonderful in cooking...I may have to plant some.

Great blog, by the way!

Here's mine, if you want to take a look:

http://coconutpalm.blogspot.com/

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

On to curing! Very nice. I have some wee green pumpkins, but didn't get out in the rain to photo them. Hopefully one night this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>