Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Family Apple Trees

Two years ago I bought two 'Family Apple Trees' from Ken Muir. These were both on a dwarfing rootstock and each have three varieties of eating apples grafted on to it. Last year I did not let it bear fruit, thinking it would be better to let the young tree put its energy into establishing growth - I was right. It has been a great year for 5 out of the 6 varieties. Gala
Sunset
James Grieve
Lord Lambourne
Russett

2 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Looking good Matron!

Where did you buy these ? Mail order ?

We are all excited at Reads Retreat - we got an allotment today !

TTFN

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh I would love a small orchard. I'm interested in espaliering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>