Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 28, 2008

Pumpkin Update

What a difference one week can make! Last week I was sharing with you my pumpkin problems, And each day since then they have doubled in size.
From a golf ball,
To a football! These are going to turn into beautiful dark orange pumpkins, Rouge Vif D'Etamps.
This week in London the heat and sunshine has really turned up, culminating yesterday in the hottest day so far this Summer. Obviously this has really suited my pumpkins. As I speak however, 2240hrs I am listening to torrential rain and flash-bang thunder and lightening outside. That will save me having to water tomorrow then!!

6 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

what an amazing amount of growth! wish our weather was a bit more consistent this summer!

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog all summer, and I felt like I should break my silence and thank you for your engaging commentary and wonderful sense of humor. I thought your "Sex Life of Plants" post was an exercise in genius. :) Hopefully I'll live somewhere other than a tiny apartment soon, and then I can dig for victory, too.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

My pumpkins are growing merrily away too with all that sunshine and rain we've been having lately. BTW There are loads of blackberries here too.

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Those french pumpkins are so nice as well as disease resistant. I planted some zucchini seeds in a mound of my compost, thinned to two plants and ended up with two pumpkin vines. I think they are pie pumpkins though not a nice french one like yours. I guess I should keep seeds out of my compost.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Looks like you are in business now! My vines are still so small, but they are a smaller pumpkin this year, so I hope to have some harvest. I love watching pumpkins grow.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing better than me. Mine are useless this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>