Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Flippin' Freezin!

Look what's happened this week! One of my beautiful crimson flowered broad beans has started to flower. Again many thanks go to Celia at purple podded peas who swapped some seeds in the post. I am looking forward to keeping this beautiful heritage variety alive by saving seed.

I read on a blog somewhere that the 18th April was a good day to plant seeds of the curcurbit (cucumber/squash) family. Something to do with a new moon according to bio-dynamic gardeners. Sorry chaps, I'll give it a try - but highly sceptial. Above are Black Forest climbing courgette, Defender courgette, Yellow Crookneck squash, Bush Delicata squash and Rouge vif d'Etamps (last two courtesy of Paula at Petunia's Garden). Swapping seed is such fun!


The night time temperatures here in London still go below freezing most nights at the moment. We have had a flippin' freezin April so far. Quite a change from last year when it went up into the 70's. Here are my tomato plants that have grown out of a propagator and have to sleep under a bed of fleece at night. How much longer??

Here are my early sown ultra-early Rocket new potatoes sown in a compost bag a few weeks ago. Even they have to be covered with a fleece inside the greenhouse at night due to the frosts. All they need is some warmth and they will be off... like a rocket!

14 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger this is my patch said...

Wish I'd known the information for the curcubits, I have already sown my summer squash! I would have given this theory a go. The weather has been really cold, but today has been really warm and sunny. I wish it would make up its mind, otherwise our plants will not know whether to pop their heads up through the soil, or to stay down below, where it is warmer? x

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger JD said...

Everything here is so slow compared to last year. We had hailstones during the week, but less than an hour later it was brilliant sunshine again. Strange weather, but everybody's wondering when the decent warmer weather is going to appear.
Just cleaned the bbq in hope that it'll be used this year, it wasn't last year.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger allie aller said...

Here in the maritime Pacific Northwest, it is extra cold this year too...snowing even! The ten day forcast gives us one partially sunny afternoon, a week from today...for the rest it is low 50 degrees F and rain.
AAAArrgggHHH! We just want to be planting already!

I enjoy your blog very much, btw. Found you via Judith the Threadspider...

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

your much further ahead than me. I think lst Aprol was so good everything wfent really well, i feel like i'll never catch up with everthing!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger gintoino said...

That crimson flowered broad bean is a beauty!
I also read the same blog as you so decided to sow some more curcubits on the 18th (why not give it a try?)
Do you grow those potatoes inside the bag? will they produce? That is very interesting for some one that doesn't have too much space to spare for potatoes.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Wow, those spuds are doing amazingly. I guess bieng in the greenhouse must help. My first earlies aren't even through the soil yet!

Paul
:)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

We had quite a few nights with frost this April too but not last week or this week, so far. Love that crimson flowered broadbean!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Oh don't those Crimson Flowered Broad beans look good! Well done, I'm sure you'll love the tender beans.

Your tomato plants are amazing, streets ahead of mine!

Today I sensed a change in the air - a real feeling that growth was starting. I spotted the first two tiny asparagus tips breaking through the soil.

Thank for reminding me to get started with the courgettes, cucumbers. I'm a sceptic about bio-dynamics, but the show garden at Ryton is very very impressive!

Celia

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Gintoino - yes the potatoes do really well in large pots, buckets or bags. Great if you don't have the space or like me, if you just want that special early treat!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mrs Be said...

You and your plants are very productive. I wish I knew that about the cucumbers. Never mind, I shall watch with interest to see your progress.

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THINK we may have turned the corner, weather-wise, this weekend. At least, I'm praying so. Fed up with this never ending winter...

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger fiona said...

all your plants are looking good!

think its warming up from today... I'm hoping so, too, cos my mini-growhouse is full of things that need to go out asap, really

BTW so good to read a fellow-Londoner's blog (I'm in Tottenham, North London)

Happy Earth Day :-)

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, hasn't it been so incredibly cold...I'm way behind! You seem to have lots of things making good growth.
Margaret and Noreen

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cold here too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>