Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, February 24, 2007

French Potato Varieties

I went to Borough Market yesterday. Anyone who lives near london must give it a visit one day - it really is a foodie (and veggie) heaven! Situated underneath Southwark cathedral, near London Bridge station. Any sort of fresh fruit and veggies you will find there. Don't have anything to eat before you go, there are lots of freebies - cheeses, sausages, olives, choccies, cakes from all round the world.

There was a fantastic display of potato varieties in the veggie market. This variety was labelled as 'Black Truffle' from Brittany, France. After some research on the internet this afternoon I discovered the world of French potato growing and cultivating. Those clever Froggies have literally hundreds of potato varieties to choose from. These are known as the variety 'Vitelotte'. I noticed that they had just started to chit (that means sprout, Porl !) so I thought I would buy some to plant. I wonder if they are related to Char-lotte??

Just thought I would also mention here, that I have given up visiting major supermarkets for Lent. I detest the way that supermarkets are raping the countryside, destroying our old tasty English varieties and screwing the British farmers, all for the sake of their own profits - and not the customers. I will be patronising every farmers market and local shop from now until Easter. Anyone care to join me?

3 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Greenmantle said...

In order to assist you in your local food quest, you might like this website...

www.bigbarn.co.uk

Chuck your postcode in and it shows you all he local producers of just about everyhting in your area.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Hx said...

It's a brilliant place, try it at Chrimbo, I get my special stuff from there, like wild game pie, yum, and it's all christmasie, such fun! However, they're still threatening to shut it down, so sign here: http://www.petitiononline.com/sabmac2/petition.html and get everyone else to sign as well.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Matron said...

I had a look at the Bigbarn website - that's just the ticket. Farmers' market found at Gerards Cross and Beaconsfield. Superb!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>