Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 31, 2006

Swiss chard - Rainbow lights

I only discovered "Rainbow lights" a couple of years ago when I bought a packet in the USA. Now it is a firm favourite and fills "the hungry gap" in the midst of Winter when nothing else will grow. Completely hardy and long lived. This chard will survive the Winter, keep cropping then start to grow again in the Spring and have a second flush of life. Wonderful coloured stems ranging from red, pink, yellow, orange and white. The leaves are better than spinach because you don't get that horrible metallic after taste. The stalks can be eaten raw like celery, or cooked on their own, or chopped up with the leaves and cooked. Fantastic. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Hx said...

Hmmmm stewed with custard . . . hmmmm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>