Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Lemon Cucumbers

I had a packet of seeds posted to me from the USA last year (is that legal?) anyway... I saw them growing wild in hedgerows around Mississippi, they are a variety of cucumbers the packet just calls them "Lemon". They have done well in the greenhouse and they are extremely prolific. Picked my first one today - about the size of a tennis ball, completely round and a creamy yellow colour, fairly spikey, but these rub off. Doesn't taste of lemon, so the name must just refer to the shape and or the colour. Flavour was OK, a nice mild juicy cucumber flavour. Will post a photo when I pull my finger out.

Does anyone know the protocol about seed packets from the USA?.. I looked on the DEFRA website when visiting Madeira earlier this year and it seems that almost anything goes within Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>