Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006


Spent today mulching crazy! Emptied the contents of my compost heap and scattered it all over and around my veggies. This is a technique to protect my soil from the fierce heat. Even after the last week of scorching heat, there is still a trace of dampness a few inches below the soil.

So, I used up all my compost - I made a trip down to Ealing Riding Stables in Gunnersbury Lane - and loaded up with a new lot of steaming gold! If you are near West London, and happen to have a fork and a few garden bags - you can help yourself to as much as you can load into your car. Oh happiness !


Post a Comment

<< Home